Teacher Talk

Teacher Talk

Friday, February 12, 2010

How'd I get Here!?

I started teaching in the fall of 2006 at an early college high school (charter school).  I was recently divorced and had an English Literature degree in my pocket.  It took me just one year to certify to teach and get a job.  I was so excited to start my new life as a single mom and a teacher.

I encountered some horrible political circumstances that first year, though.  The details are far behind me now, but at the end of that year I had secured a job in the next town over at a public high school and got to start over again! This move was wonderful because within six months I had met a wonderful man in my new town.  By my third year of teaching I was married with four kids (one of my own) and a third school.  I opened that school year at a middle school as ESL coordinator where I had to learn two new computer programs to run the class and  to learn and to follow intense state and federal laws not too much different than those of Special Ed. (paperwork!).

It was rough, but I am now on my 4th year of teaching and 2nd year in the same classroom.  (Whew!)  I'm lucky to have a job and a family who loves me.  What I think I need more of, though, is teacher talk.  I am taking master classes online that give me opportunities to talk teacher stuff, but I wanted a place to do that after those classes end.  I welcome any constructive comments that will help any teacher, including myself, with the challenges and successes of teaching.

No comments: