Teacher Talk

Teacher Talk

Friday, February 19, 2010

Kids' Answers

On a recent test I tested the kids on commonly confused words like they're, there, and their, etc.  One pair of words was emigrate and immigrate.  A few answers from my Hispanic kids made me laugh.  (Spelling below has not been altered = direct quotes).

Kid #1 "Emigrate means liveing the Unid States and the other is coming to the united states."

Kid #2 "Emigrate: leaving your home country.  Immigrate: not a citizen."

Kid #3 "Emigrate - away from home country.  Immirate - taken away and put back to there country." 

Kid #4 "Emigrate = move to another country.  Immigrate = crossing the border Illegal"

Cute, huh?  I guess I'll have to go over those two again.  Emigrate is when you leave your home country and Immigrate means to enter into a new country

No comments: