Teacher Talk

Teacher Talk

Monday, April 19, 2010

Kids say the weirdest things!

I was teaching how to write sentences today and I asked the kids why punctuation isn't an important part of their writing?  Basically, "Why don't you care enough to put punctuation?"  Most of the answers were, "We're lazy," "Because texting doesn't need it," and "I don't know where it all goes."  But the best one today was what one boy said: "I usually write without punctuation.  Then I go back and just put periods in random places."  I laughed and asked, "Why?  Why would you do that?"  He said, "The teacher never told me not to."

What is going on here?  I told them that my little first grader is learning how to write complete sentences!  What happens from first grade to middle school?  I'm so amazed that punctuation wouldn't be an important part of writing.  Then I asked the class if they think that employers don't look to see if a resume has full, complete sentences.  They said they don't believe an employer would care about fragment sentences on a resume or not.  Then they said, "McDonald's won't care!"  I'm thinking, Is that as far as you are shooting here in life?    WOWOWOWOWOW!

Ah the great question!  How do we make students CARE!? 

1 comment:

mormonhermitmom said...

Um, you can't and that's the most frustrating thing. Some of those kids will work flipping burgers and be happy. Others will flip a few and realize, "Man I do NOT want to do this the rest of my life, maybe I better get busy." But until they get that, all you can do is teach and hope it sticks.